Happy Birthday

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 11:51:08 -0800

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Bill Humphries wrote:
>
> > > Obviously,
> > > whatever you're doing when you're 30, is what
> > > you'll be doing for the rest of your life.
> >
> > Then I'm the exception proving the rule. When I was 30, I was an
> > economist in a midwestern consulting firm. Now I'm almost 39 and a
> > code monkey at Apple.
>
> There are no such hard rules. Things change more quickly now, and people
> do not age in the same way. At least a fair fraction of them doesn't.

It's not a hard rule--it's a hypothesis.  Adam's
in fact.   On a side note, I only think birthday years
that are a power of two are significant.

Greg

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/local/faq-adam.html#thirty

8.What is the "Thirty Hypothesis"?

             This is the belief that one's useful life ends at 30.
This rule was first proposed by Rohit as the "Mathematician's rule of
25," which states that anything that was ever useful in mathematics
was discovered and/or proved by a person by the time s/he was 25.

We extend this rule to 30 for all fields besides mathematics; in fact,
the number 30 also corresponds to the average person's
life expectancy back when the institution of marriage was invented.

Let's face it: you make your reputation by 30, and then it's all
downhill from there. This comes from an ISI study of citations
charting scientists' initial most-cited paper vs age, where the media
ranged from very early twenties for mathematicians to early 30s for
engineers. If you haven't broken through by the end of your PhD, it's
not going to happen. On a Rohit level, Rohit lives his life as if it
is literally going to end when he turns 30. On a personal level, I
turn 30 during the last month of this millenium, so I'm sure at least
a little part of all of us ends when I turn thirty.

Use in a sentence: Since life ends at 30, 29 is the ultimate prime
of life. Except for mathematicians, whose ultimate prime of life is 23.