Books to read during sabbatical

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 23:06:46 -0400

James Tauber wrote:

>>* any basics of an MBA -- I don't have one, don't particularly want one,
>>but wonder what I'm missing
>>

>The Ten-Day MBA: A Step-By-step Guide To Mastering The Skills Taught In
>America's Top Business Schools
>by Steven Silbiger
>
>I'm reading it at the moment and it seems reasonable for the purpose you
>describe.
>
>James
>
>P.S. I'm also reading Tom Shippey's J.R.R. Tolkien : Author of the
>Century which is awesome but doesn't really fit into your criteria :-)

"Skills?" - that's the first year of Business school - the
indoctrination period. The second year is usually
when you get to read some interesting stuff , though highly dependent on
professor's idiosyncracies.

The only stuff I read there that I have actually gone back and reread
would be Michael Porter

Owen

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684841479/ref=pd_sim_books_1/102-1855053-1496939?v=glance&s=books

*Editorial Reviews*

*/Book Description/*

Now beyond its 11th printing and translated into twelve languages,
Michael Porter's /The Competitive Advantage of Nations/ has changed
completely our conception of how prosperity is created and sustained in
the modern global economy. Porter's groundbreaking study of
international competitiveness has shaped national policy in countries
around the world. It has also transformed thinking and action in states,
cities, companies, and even entire regions such as Central America.

Based on research in ten leading trading nations, /The Competitive
Advantage of Nations/ offers the first theory of competitiveness based
on the causes of the productivity with which companies compete. Porter
shows how traditional comparative advantages such as natural resources
and pools of labor have been superseded as sources of prosperity, and
how broad macroeconomic accounts of competitiveness are insufficient.
The book introduces Porter's "diamond," a whole new way to understand
the competitive position of a nation (or other locations) in global
competition that is now an integral part of international business
thinking. Porter's concept of "clusters," or groups of interconnected
firms, suppliers, related industries, and institutions that arise in
particular locations, has become a new way for companies and governments
to think about economies, assess the competitive advantage of locations,
and set public policy.

Even before publication of the book, Porter's theory had guided national
reassessments in New Zealand and elsewhere. His ideas and personal
involvement have shaped strategy in countries as diverse as the
Netherlands, Portugal, Taiwan, Costa Rica, and India, and regions such
as Massachusetts, California, and the Basque country. Hundreds of
cluster initiatives have flourished throughout the world. In an era of
intensifying global competition, this pathbreaking book on the /new/
wealth of nations has become the standard by which all future work must
be measured.