Books to read during sabbatical

Mr. FoRK fork_list@hotmail.com
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 22:23:53 -0800

---- Original Message -----
From: "Sherry Listgarten" <sherry@timesten.com>

> * explain trends in technology -- history, motivation, the specific
> technologies, possible futures -- anything from the free software movement
> to networking to bioinformatics to programming languages
This might be a bit of a stretch, but the video series 'Connections' by
James Burke is a fantastic history of innovation.
I'm checking them out from the library & watching them with my kids. He is
very prescient with regard to the importance of networks (of many sorts) to
societies - and how dependent we are upon them. This last segment had an
unusual juxtaposition of phrase and image - as he talked about Americas
dependence information networks "without them it would all fall down" he
moves a punchcard and reveals the NY skyline with the WTC towering over the
skyscrapers. Anyway, I thought it was striking.