First essay of the year

Tom tomwhore@slack.net
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:33:51 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
--]From: dave@scripting.com (DaveNet email)

--]interrupted me and asked the question I knew was coming -- Is it open
--]source? He added that he would never use software that wasn't open source.
--]
--]So I told him it wasn't and further he would have to wait a lot of years,
--]maybe forever, before I would give him the software I make for free,
--]because I have to make a living, and pay lawyers and accountants, and I
--]have a mortgage, and health insurance, and maybe (god forbid) get a
--]vacation every few years or so (I know I'm unreasonable), and someday I'm
--]going to retire or maybe need long-term health care; and btw the people who
--]make open source software generally don't have much sympathy for users, and
--]my software is all about users.
--]

Read that last few lines again

--].... and btw the people who make open source software generally don't
--] have much sympathy for users, and my software is all about users.

Why do folks allow this sort of FUD to go on? Why is it that the focus is
on M$ and the like when the real enemy of an open sharing society are
people like this who seeth FUD from thier pores.

Grassroots works both ways. If you support the projects by people who take
these type of stances then you are supporting the stance.

The folks who are making OpenOfice, GIMP, and a slew of other open source
projects should take offense at this statement not simply because it
belittles much of what is happenign with the better of the OSS projects,
but because it is offensive to any project that is seekig to better the
enviorns around them rather than be just another cold hand pulling on the
teat of the community.

In a world that is infested with being's who are simply out to "get what
is thiers" it is always refreshing to remeber that there are a growing
force of people who do thigns not for the buck, not for the profit and not
for the bottom line but instead for the benifit of others.

"You say you got a real solution
well you know, we'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
well you know, we're all doing what we can
But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brotha, you have to wait"  JL/PM

-tomwsmf