First essay of the year

Dr. Robert Harley harley@argote.ch
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 02:23:43 +0100 (CET)

Tom (tomwhore@slack.net) wrote:
>Read that last few lines again
>--].... and btw the people who make open source software generally don't
>--] have much sympathy for users, and my software is all about users.
>Why do folks allow this sort of FUD to go on?  [...]

I cannot tell a lie.  I agree with Tom this time 'round.  Also, it's
-6 C in hell (well, at least in Paris).  Proprietary software cares
about users, as measured by their wallets.  Re-read "The Cathedral and
the Bazaar".  Cathedral projects (GCC a few years ago, HURD etc) may
not care much about users but bazaar projects (Linux, EGCS a few years
ago, etc) certainly do and are largely user driven.