8-bit man!

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:48:53 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Mr. FoRK wrote:

> Have you tried an Adkins-type approach - dropping carbohydrates (bread,
> pasta, flour) & keeping proteins (cheese, meat)? And avoiding corn syrup
> based stuff - which is most everything.

Atkins stuff doesn't work that good, and just invites you to shovel in
more Joules, since giving faux good conscience. Exercise doesn't work
either, because realistically there's no way you can burn off your average
American meal (I gained 9 kg during my 2 years brush with culinary SoCal
while not even trying hard)  without being a manic lumberjack up in
freezing Canadia working 24/7/365.

The best solution would be just keep track of your Joule intake, and
starting slowly phasing it out. You can trick your system with drinking a
lot of water and stuffing yourself with high-volume low-joule food
(veggies & Co). Oh, and exercising, too.

Also noteworthy: the more you deviate from calorie restriction ideal, the
less years (and lower-quality years at that) you're going to clock. I
think a hardcore CR regime started early can give you a life span of
110-120 years. A mild CR started 30ish could still bring you up to 100.
There's no telling what personal molecular medicine will be up to in 60-70
years, assuming we can afford it.

So think about it.