8-bit man!

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:17:16 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Mr. FoRK wrote:

> Yeah - but the theory sounds good - carbs are easy to digest, meats are
> harder so you use more calories to absorb the new calories. Plus the early
> phase causes your body to go into 'shock' (after a few days) with the lack
> of immediate sugar (which is what the carbs convert into quickly) when you

You go into ketonic burn. You (and others) will smell it -- you'll start
to stink. However, even a single carrot a day will prevent you from
entering that metabolic region. So you really have rigorously exclude any
carbs -- whether starch, or sugar. Even a couple of fries or a swill of
Coke are strictly verboten.

> eat. This changes the body chemistry to start scavanging more quickly. I
> don't like the sound of crashing your system to reset it, but just reading
> about how carbs turn into stored fat easier than if you actually eat
> fat/protein itself made me adjust my intake somewhat.

You will lose weight quickly, assuming you go nazi on carb's ass, but it's
not gentle. Burning up adipose tissue never is (do you know what's stored
in there? oh my). And you will bounce back equally quickly once you go off
it. The jo-jo stuff can quickly make you go towards 30% body fat index
even if you're at normal weight. This is not fun at all.

> I should probably start workin on the caloric reduction part though to
> hopefully edge out a few more years of lifespan though.

Just make it slow. Touching starvation hard after a land of plenty regime
will require inhuman strength of will, as you will crave food desperately.
This is a standing invitation to enter the binge/starvation loop, which
will both damage you and bring up your body fat index really high.