8-bit man!

Kelley kelley@interpactinc.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:51:48 -0500

At 09:17 PM 1/12/03 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Mr. FoRK wrote:
>
> > Yeah - but the theory sounds good - carbs are easy to digest, meats are
> > harder so you use more calories to absorb the new calories. Plus the early
> > phase causes your body to go into 'shock' (after a few days) with the lack
> > of immediate sugar (which is what the carbs convert into quickly) when you
>
>You go into ketonic burn. You (and others) will smell it -- you'll start
>to stink. However, even a single carrot a day will prevent you from
>entering that metabolic region. So you really have rigorously exclude any
>carbs -- whether starch, or sugar. Even a couple of fries or a swill of
>Coke are strictly verboten.

It takes 100 grams of glucose to get out of ketosis--from a combination of
dietary carbs and dietary fat/protein. And, if you're highly trained
physically, your muscles suck up the carbs you ingest, particularly after a
depletion work out that pulls glycogen out of your muscles. In that case,
glucose goes directly to replenishing the muscles, bypassing the liver and,
therfore, doesn't impact ketosis. There may even be some evidence that it
takes the same three days to get out of lipolysis as it took to get out of
glycolysis.

If you want to know what it's all about, I highly recommend
www.theketogenicdiet.com which includes some really good bits on the
science behind it all--dispelling the garbage that drips from Atkins and
the crap research he uses to claim that there is some magical metabolic
state. There isn't one, not in the sense that you somehow burn more
calories simply by eating fewer carbs.

misc.fitness.weights and lyle mcdonald + ketosis if you're not willing to
dish up the cash for the book. Still, I'd def. get the book, especially if,
like me, you work out hard.

Kelley