8-bit man!

Kelley kelley@interpactinc.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:06:59 -0500

At 08:48 PM 1/12/03 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Mr. FoRK wrote:
>
> > Have you tried an Adkins-type approach - dropping carbohydrates (bread,
> > pasta, flour) & keeping proteins (cheese, meat)? And avoiding corn syrup
> > based stuff - which is most everything.
>
>Atkins stuff doesn't work that good, and just invites you to shovel in
>more Joules, since giving faux good conscience.

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58531-2002Dec31.html>
<paste>
"A preliminary study at the University of Cincinnati College of Nursing
seems to bear this out. Half of a small group of obese women were put on
the Atkins diet and half were assigned to follow the American Heart
Association low-fat diet. The study was funded by the heart association,
and the researchers fully expected to see better results with the low-fat
group. After six months, not only had the Atkins group lost twice as much
weight as the low-fat group, but both groups equally improved their levels
of blood fat, insulin and glucose, even though the Atkins group had eaten
high-fat foods like bacon, sausage, eggs and beef."
Even more unexpected was the amount of calories both groups ate. The
members of the Atkins group were allowed to eat as many calories as they
wanted as long as none of those calories came from forbidden foods like
sweets, bread, pasta and some fruits; the members of the low-fat group were
restricted to no more than about 1,200 calories a day. Yet both groups
ended up
eating the same amount of calories a day. The difference was the Atkins
group never felt hungry on 1,200 calories a day, while the low-fat group
did. Says Brehm, "I could always tells which women were on which diet. The
Atkins group members always looked so happy."
</paste>

Caveat lector: none of the other research shows greater FAT loss. The goal
isn't weight loss but FAT loss. So, the above study doesn't give us enough
info about higher loss rates.

btw, congratulations Rohit!