Exercise! (was: 8-bit man!)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:17:32 +0000

Eugen Leitl:
>Exercise doesn't work either, because realistically there's no way you can
>burn off your average American meal ..

My experience is quite different. When I worked
three miles from home and commuted each day by
shank's mare, I soon lost much of my excess
weight. Exercise has two effects on the balance
of calories consumed vs. calories burnt. Yes,
the exercise consumes some energy itself. But
it may be more important that it changes the
composition of your body. The more muscle you
have, the more calories you metabolize even
while sleeping, simply because muscle tissue is
so much less "efficient" than fat in its own
metabolism.

Of course, exercise itself has tremendous health
and quality of life benefit, independent of any
weight loss considerations.

BTW, there was an interesting study recently
about obesity and geography. People who live in
sprawling areas like Houston and the valley are
fatter than people who live in other places.
The obvious explanation is that you can only
get about by driving (even for simple trips to
the store), and when you spend so much time in
a car, it cuts into time you might otherwise
spend more actively. I wonder if people who in
these areas also more often eat in their cars?