Exercise! (was: 8-bit man!)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:42:32 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Russell Turpin wrote:

> My experience is quite different. When I worked
> three miles from home and commuted each day by
> shank's mare, I soon lost much of my excess

You've not been eating enough, then. I don't think you can burn off more
than 100 g fat equivalent (about 900 kCal) in a gym setting, daily,
sustainably (as in daily, for months). Not counting anything else, of
course. Your basal metabolism for a 70 kg human is 1.7 kCal.

For the rest, see:

	<http://physics.syr.edu/courses/PHY101.01Fall/lectures/Lecture20.pdf>

> weight. Exercise has two effects on the balance
> of calories consumed vs. calories burnt. Yes,
> the exercise consumes some energy itself. But
> it may be more important that it changes the
> composition of your body. The more muscle you
> have, the more calories you metabolize even
> while sleeping, simply because muscle tissue is
> so much less "efficient" than fat in its own
> metabolism.

I agree. But exercise alone doesn't doesn't make you slim, as long as you
continue eating like a pig. You have to actually exercise as well to cut
your calories/change food composition if you want to build up muscle as
well as lose weight.

> Of course, exercise itself has tremendous health
> and quality of life benefit, independent of any
> weight loss considerations.

Yeah, totally. But this is still no card blanche to go on bingeing on the
comestibles.

> BTW, there was an interesting study recently
> about obesity and geography. People who live in
> sprawling areas like Houston and the valley are
> fatter than people who live in other places.
> The obvious explanation is that you can only
> get about by driving (even for simple trips to
> the store), and when you spend so much time in

It depens on how lazy you are. I used to go for 30 min on foot to go to
the store and do 50 min on foot (one way) to go to work, almost daily,
right through the desert/vineyards -- while I got honked at by random
people in cars -- I still don't know why. (Guess what, I still got fat).

> a car, it cuts into time you might otherwise
> spend more actively. I wonder if people who in
> these areas also more often eat in their cars?

The sole, single, simplest solution is: cut down on the joule intake.
Everything else is secondary/tertiary, really.