Exercise! (was: 8-bit man!)

Kelley kelley@interpactinc.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:14:11 -0500

At 10:58 PM 1/13/03 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Kelley wrote:
>
> > Summary of training requirements for growth:
> >
> > 1. Use weights between 60-85% of maximum (roughly 6-20 reps)
> > 2. Use a controlled eccentric (lowering) movement.
> > 3. Apply proper progressive overload.
> > 4. Supply adequate nutrients and allow adequate recovery
> > 5. Train a muscle once every 4-7 days.
>
>A good + CR lots of stretching/yoga beats it every time of the week
>(unless one insists to look like a beefcake, regardless of consequence).

Well, looking like a beefcake isn't in the cards for me. What consequences
are there for looking like a beefcake?

And, what is +CR?

My point is that you don't grow muscle with walking or yoga, not if you're
also losing fat. And, if you do, it's the result of a mysterious newbie
effect that researchers haven't really figured out. What appears to most
people new to exercise as "muscle gain" is really central neural
adaptations, rather than new muscle.

>do go the weekend weights/excessiv esweat route, but only because I can't
>muster the strength of will to do the CR/low calorie way.
>
>Which is clearly superior, but takes some mental muscle.

I'm not sure what you mean, but perhaps when I get a translation for CR...

Thanks,

Kelley