Exercise! (was: 8-bit man!)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:08:30 +0000

Eugen Leitl:
>But exercise alone doesn't doesn't make you slim,
>as long as you continue eating like a pig.

Undoubtedly true. And that brings up another point:
exercise kills the appetite. For an hour or two
after a two hour hike, eating is the furthest thing
from my mind. One can't eat much before the hike,
because that wouldn't be comfortable. The end result
is a few hours that day when I am NOT eating, much
less like a pig. Swimming works much the same.

Yeah, yeah, I know. The dedicated glutton can make
up for it in the remainder of the day by eating
even more than usual then. Undoubtedly, one can
start doing more exercise and still gain weight.
Yes, in the pure physics of it, you won't lose much
weight simply from the exercise. But in the living
of it, in how it actually works in a human's life,
my experience is that exercising makes all the
difference in the world.

Of course, I've never been slim. By the BMI, I've
always been in the overweight region, sometimes
barely, sometimes edging toward (but never getting
to) the line where one is actually obese. So my
experience might be (a) irrelevant, since I've
never achieved slimness, or (b) highly relevant,
since I'm not one who is naturally slim.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup