Exercise! (was: 8-bit man!)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:22:55 +0000

Kelley:
>2. The size of your muscle fibers increase, but that's not _new_ muscle
>cell growth.
>
>3. You may have grown more muscle cells from the newbie effect but, again,
>that's about 3 lbs.

Does that difference really matter? Muscle
atrophies when you don't use it. Even if you're
just expanding the fibers already there, that will
make a difference on your resting metabolism.

I'm not into bodybuilding. I hike. In the summers,
I also swim. I do chin-ups and pushups, but that's
just to maintain a minimal amount of upper body
strength. I'm never going to look like Arnold. I'm
just a middle-aged nerd fighting gravity. ;-)