Exercise! (was: 8-bit man!)

Gareth Olds satans_lexicon@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:03:45 -0900

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Kelley wrote:
>My point is that you don't grow muscle with walking or yoga, not if you're
>also losing fat. And, if you do, it's the result of a mysterious newbie
>effect that researchers haven't really figured out. What appears to most
>people new to exercise as "muscle gain" is really central neural
>adaptations, rather than new muscle.

  I disagree with the idea that yoga has no muscle-gain effect.  Maybe it's
because i'm an ever-growing teenager, but i've been doing yoga for some time
now as part of my meditation routine twice daily, and i've noticed a
significant positive affect, both in the loss of excess fat (i'm nearly 6',
150, and very skinny), and in the production of muscles, particularly in
areas that often general exercises (ie pushups, curls, etc) do not target
(pecs, deltoids, latissimus dorsi, and gastroc nemius).

  And i hestite to assume that just because something is not scientifically
proven, that it has no affect, positive or negative.  My family is very
grounded in the scientific community, but what tripe the AMA spits out
(namely the RDA) does not constitute the bulk of collective
scientific/nutritional knowledge.  It seems that only recently did the
medical community start validating claims of the postive affects of
supplements (and i don't mean CitraCal) in our diet.  Magnesium helps us
metabolise, they're saying now, and to absorb calcium, it's necessary as a
micronutrient.  No shit; i've been taking magnesium and activated
microorganisms and krebs cycle zinc for years.

  IMHO, while it is important to weigh the arguements posed by the AMA and
other such organisations (many of whom are strongly invested, eg. American
Dietetic Association and the Diary Farmers of America ['remember kids, milk
is good for you!' yeah right ...]), i think it's also important to look at
the amazing work that's being done on the frontier of nutrition that the
medical community is ignoring, including supplements, homeopathy,
acupuncture/chiropractic care, and yoga.  And of course there are crystal
healers, etc.; charlatins are found in the medical community as well.  But
yoga has proven, at least for me, to be a wonderful supplement to exercise
and a healthy diet.  But then again, i am kinda new-agey ...

         - Sir Gareth