Exercise! (was: 8-bit man!)

Kelley kelley@interpactinc.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:20:49 -0500

At 03:03 PM 1/13/03 -0900, Gareth Olds wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Kelley wrote:
>>My point is that you don't grow muscle with walking or yoga, not if
>>you're also losing fat. And, if you do, it's the result of a mysterious
>>newbie effect that researchers haven't really figured out. What appears
>>to most people new to exercise as "muscle gain" is really central neural
>>adaptations, rather than new muscle.
>
>  I disagree with the idea that yoga has no muscle-gain effect.  Maybe
> it's because i'm an ever-growing teenager, but i've been doing yoga for
> some time now as part of my meditation routine twice daily, and i've
> noticed a significant positive affect, both in the loss of excess fat
> (i'm nearly 6', 150, and very skinny), and in the production of muscles,
> particularly in areas that often general exercises (ie pushups, curls,
> etc) do not target (pecs, deltoids, latissimus dorsi, and gastroc nemius).

well, what you are seeing involves two things:

what they call cutting--fat loss--which exposes existing muscle and the
neural adaptations involved in training your muscles. oh and one more:
heavy glycogen and water recruitment involved in training muscle, even
using resistance training which is what Yoga is about, basically. there is,
however, very little new muscle cell growth, your subjective impressions
notwithstanding.

I don't know how young you are, but if you're under 25 then muscle growth
is still occurring for you just as part of life. I didn't stop growing,
height-wise until I was 28. for the old farts among us who are over 30,
we're fighting off the drop of about 1/2-1 lb. per year.

at any rate, feel free to think what you like. I put the bits out there for
people who are interested. You're not? Oh well.

and, dewd, I can assure that this isn't produced by the AMA. read up on who
my information came from and you'll see what I mean. This is not a guy who
lurvs the medical establishment or even the nutrition/physiology
establishment. he's just good at what he does and seriously anal retentive:
he'd put Rohit to shame. :)

Kelley