Anti-war train drivers refuse to move arms freight

Al Diablito aldiablito@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:01:13 -0500

>Well yes, they are shipping out now which means that nobody reporting >to a
>recruiting center today qualifies to go.

1) this is one of many waves. If you want to sign up now, I am sure you will
be in time for mop-up operations or the next war in Syria, Iran, Korea,
Venezuela, etc.

>'They' volunteered to go based on where their elected civilian leaders
>told them to go.  Furthermore, we had a nice little vote on war
>authority which passed overwhelmingly (in Congress) and a subsequent
>election where politicians who weren't sufficiently serious about
>defense were at a distinct disadvantage.

2) Not a knock on the soldiers at all. They went where their civilian
leaders who are dependent on corporate contributions for their jobs told
them to go. The election went the way it did because the Dems showed
themselves to be as beholden to corporate/war interest as the Repubs and
gave nobody a reason to vote for them. Six Democratic congressmen lost their
jobs in November. Five voted for the war resolution, 1 voted against it.

>Moreover, 'they' are exceptionally well trained and are arguably less
>likely to come to harm than the citizens they leave to defend.

Yes, they are well trained. Unfortunately, they are equipped with gear made
by the same quality standards that give us things like Ford Explorer tires,
Windows 95, etc. I would not want to go into the desert against the Iraqis
relying on the shoddy gear the big corps foist on the Pentagon. Also, don't
count on the "Peoples Revolution" Bush is hoping for. Seems like Saddam has
an interesting take on our 2nd Amendment (read below). Not defending scumbag
Saddam, but it sure is curious how an "unpopular" leader can get away with
arming every grown man in his country and not get taken out. Should be
fuckin' blast, eh?

Iraqis Buying Guns
To Fight US Invasion
By Andrew Hammond
1-13-3

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Bedouin gunshop owner Yassin al-Jabbouri says Iraqi
civilians are arming themselves to challenge the American invader.

Iraqi clan groups, a key force in the country, are stocking up on rifles and
pistols from the Iraqi capital's 45 retail gun outlets, taking heed of
government calls for the populace to ready itself for a U.S. invasion,
Jabbouri says.

The United States is boosting its forces in the Gulf ahead of a possible
attack to end President Saddam Hussein's 23-year rule saying he is hiding
weapons of mass destruction.

"I have a tribe of 200,000 people and 12,000 of them are in Baghdad ready to
fight. We are all human shields against America," the 50-year-old Bedouin
chief told Reuters.

"There has been growing interest in buying weapons. It's in the interests of
Iraqis to have weapons to face the American fighter...We are all military
now," he said, adding that Iraqis would be keen to punish American troops
for the suffering of Palestinians fighting U.S. ally Israel.

Gun culture is deeply ingrained in Iraq, where possession of guns is seen as
a mark of honor among the 150 or so Bedouin tribes. They form a critical
base of support for Saddam, himself of Bedouin origin.

Baghdad is festooned with large posters of the Iraqi leader in various poses
handling guns, which anyone over 25 can buy.

Pro-Saddam street parades over recent weeks have featured groups of men,
women and children marching with an array of weapons. The United States says
Iraqis will be glad to see the back of Saddam.

The state set up a popular defense force two years ago, ostensibly to fight
with the Palestinians. The state distributes arms for free to all members of
the ruling Baath Party, thought to number over two million.

"This is the one I'm going to fight with," Jabbouri said, pulling out a
$1,500 Italian-made rifle. "Everyone has three or four guns each now.
There's no tribe that doesn't use arms. Even my wife can fire a good shot
over a distance."

Rifles, from Beretta Italian originals to cheap Turkish copies, range from
$200 to $1,000, Jabbouri said. The cheapest and most popular revolver is the
Iraqi-made Tariq, selling for as low as $150, which many men possess from
their army days.

Jabbouri's 12-year-old son Ahmed steps up with a Cobra Magnum revolver to
show his firing prowess, letting off a few loud blank shots in the small
shop.

"I was trained when I was nine. We learned to fight in order to fight the
enemy -- the Zionists (Israel), America and any foreign country," Ahmed
said, repeating slogans that fill Iraq's state-controlled television, radio
and print media.