'Bomb Texas' The psychological roots of anti-Americanism

Lucas Gonze lgonze@panix.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:57:22 -0500 (EST)

G. Mohr wrote:

[snip]

> People who think America is a greater evil than the totalitarian
> states that brutally oppress their own people and export violence
> and weapons, in the hope of someday oppressing ever-more people?

I have virtually never heard Americans talk about America as evil.  I have
heard many Americans talk about some foreign policy or another as evil.
These aren't the same thing.

Our foreign policy belongs to us, the people.  The right to criticize it
defines americanism.  It is pro-american to be anti-war.

As far as the moral status of foreign states goes, the anti-war argument
here is that there's no distinction between Iraq and other countries.
Saudi Arabia brutally oppresses its own people, and it exported the
violence of September 11 to us, and we don't care.

> People who would like to see American political and economic
> interests thwarted, as a sort of come-uppance for whatever evils
> they feel America has perpetrated in the past?

Pretty much all educated people are aware of bad things we've done
overseas, and are against doing more such things in the future.  I don't
see this manifested as wishing harm on the united states.

> That's anti-Americanism, and it plenty of it exists (or at least
> is very vocal) among the opposition to military action.

The problem here is that that's not a working definition of
anti-Americanism.  Overseas adventurism is not in the constitution;
citizens opposing foreign policy is.  Vigorously opposing foreign policy
is being vigorously american.

- Lucas