'Bomb Texas' The psychological roots of anti-Americanism

Lucas Gonze lgonze@panix.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:04:40 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, johnhall wrote:

> I'm a little busy

me too.  I'm interested in a good FoRKing of this stuff -- in real life
I'm starved for good debate partners -- but I have to get back to work for
now.

>, but you could start with these.  (Especially the
> photo).  I spent 5 minutes.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/10653169

for those who haven't see it, this is a swastika/american-flag mix.

That's straight up free speech, baby.  If you don't love it, move to Iraq.

> "How we dare even prate about democracy is beyond me. Our form of
> democracy is bribery, on the highest scale. It's far worse than anything
> that occurred in the Roman empire, until the praetorian guard started to
> sell the principate. We're not a democracy, and we have absolutely
> nothing to give the world in the way of political ideas or political
> arrangements." --Gore Vidal, interview with the New Statesman, October
> 15

This is criticism of the republic for which it stands.  It has nothing to
do with anti-war feelings and isn't anti-american anyway.

> "Civilization is Genocide" --banner carried by protesters in Berlin on
> October 8, as seen in an AP photo by Markus Schreiber

That's in germany (we were talking about America, right?), and isn't
related to the US.

> At one late-October march in Washington, there were signs proclaiming "I
> Love Iraq, Bomb Texas," and depicting President Bush wearing a Hitler
> mustache and giving the Nazi salute.

The first one is a joke.  It's not meant literally, and that's obvious.

The second one is a very fine piece of political speech.  If you don't
love free speech, move to Iraq.

You're 0 for 3 here.  None of your examples showed an association between
the anti-war opposition and anti-american feeling.

- Lucas