'Bomb Texas' The psychological roots of anti-Americanism

Al Diablito aldiablito@hotmail.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:56:22 -0500

>http://www.pbase.com/image/10653169
Don't really have a problem with it. I think that Bush is pursuing policies
and using tactics that compare to the Nazis, including covert support for
Nazi-affiliated movements in European nations like Croatia. It is not much
of a stretch.

>"How we dare even prate about democracy is beyond me. Our form of
>democracy is bribery, on the highest scale. It's far worse than anything
>that occurred in the Roman empire, until the praetorian guard started to
>sell the principate. We're not a democracy, and we have absolutely
>nothing to give the world in the way of political ideas or political
>arrangements." --Gore Vidal, interview with the New Statesman, October
>15

In the sense that Vidal is well aware of the fact that, IN THE PAST, we
indeed did have something to give the world in the way of political ideas or
political arrangements, I think his evaluation of the current situation is
entirely accurate.

>"Civilization is Genocide" --banner carried by protesters in Berlin on
>October 8, as seen in an AP photo by Markus Schreiber
>
>At one late-October march in Washington, there were signs proclaiming "I
>Love Iraq, Bomb Texas," and depicting President Bush wearing a Hitler
>mustache and giving the Nazi salute.

I don't find the "Bomb Texas" statement funny or useful at all, though I
support the American values that allow the sign to be shown. I do however
find strong satiric value in the "Bush as Nazi" art. Read your history and
not just the Time-Life WW2 books, OK?