'Bomb Texas' The psychological roots of anti-Americanism

johnhall johnhall@isomedia.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:31:47 -0800

> John Hall:
> >Well no, I said that anti-war == pro Saddam.
> >
> >Just as Orwell noted that anti-war == pro fascism in an earlier point
of
> >history.
>
> John, that's a pretty silly analogy, since it
> posits Iraq vis-a-vis western nations as having
> power, influence, and threat comparable to
> Germany's or Japan's prior to WW II.

The WMD and Saddam's behavior make that threat more real than Germany to
the US at the time.

> By your
> rule, everyone who opposes the US warring on
> each and every one of them therefore is
> supporting those dictators.

Trying to stop a military invasion of Iraq _is_ trying to keep Saddam in
power.

> The good nations are not supposed to war on the
> bad nations just because they are bad. They are
> supposed to have compelling reasons before
> launching an attack, such as

Such as ... they are an intolerable security threat.

Just being 'bad' doesn't work.  Being 'bad', being a threat, and being a
threat we can do something about at reasonable cost does.

> Fahd bin Abd al-Aziz Al Saud?

Fine by me.  Taking out Iraq is very likely to encourage SA to start
worrying more about us than about their extremists.