'Bomb Texas' The psychological roots of anti-Americanism

Lucas Gonze lgonze@panix.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:43:54 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, johnhall wrote:

> > From: Behalf Of Lucas Gonze
>

> > As far as the moral status of foreign states goes, the anti-war
> argument
> > here is that there's no distinction between Iraq and other countries.
>
> That isn't an argument, but an evasion.  You don't expect anyone to take
> that one seriously, do you?  No crime should ever be punished because
> you can't punish all crime?

That's not an evasion in any way.  It's central.

> > Pretty much all educated people are aware of bad things we've done
> > overseas, and are against doing more such things in the future.
>
> All educated people are aware of what we are done.  That doesn't mean we
> all agree which things are bad.

We don't have to agree which things are bad, we just have to agree that
deciding what must be done is properly the business of the people.
There's nothing remotely unamerican about criticizing policy.

- Lucas