Fwd: TBTF: Farewell

bitbitch@magnesium.net bitbitch@magnesium.net
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 23:01:39 -0500

Ouch.   Too bad to see this go.  I know a few FoRKers had reccomended
this to me some time ago.

------------------------------------

You may have noticed that the TBTF site [1] has been unstable or

unreachable, from some parts of the Net, for a few days now. The

reason is that I'm moving the site off of its long-time host

Imagiware and onto my own server. The namespace should mostly have

settled down by now.

What motivates this move -- besides saving some money -- is my

decision to mothball TBTF and the TBTF Log.

TBTF was born of, and grew on, pure inspiration, not on any conscious

intention of mine. In point of fact the inspiration died off very

soon after the crash of dot-com stocks in March of 2000. Although

most analysts date the beginning of the tech meltdown from the fall

of that year at the earliest, I knew in my gut that it was over by

April. I managed to squeeze out one more full issue in July 2000. The

TBTF Log carried on for almost exactly one more year, on momentum and

will, simply because its energy barrier was lower than that of the

full-blown newsletter.

My life has changed in many ways since the last issue of TBTF hit

subscribers' inboxes. While I still consider TBTF to be the finest

thing I have ever done, it is past time for me to wrap it up and

move on.

It is my intention to maintain tbtf.com as a historical archive

indefinitely. It's likely that some of the associated sites and

features -- Jargon Scout [1], No We Don't Have a Web Site [2], and

Siliconia [3] -- will also go to archival status, but I haven't

made that a firm decision yet.

I have created a new mailing list called "tbtf-next" which I invite

you to join. It will be an extremely low-traffic, announce-only

list on which I will send notes telling interested people where

they can find my writing (and perhaps other works) in the future.

It's hosted by Mailman, so list members have full control over the

details of their subscriptions. Send a message with subject or body

of "subscribe" (without the quotes) to tbtf-next-request@tb.tf .

Mailman will respond with a message to which you must reply in turn,

in order to confirm your subscription.

This will be the last message you receive on the TBTF mailing list.

[1] http://tbtf.com/

[2] http://jargon-scout.com/

[3] http://nowedonthaveawebsite.com/

[4] http://tbtf.com/siliconia.html

Keith Dawson   dawson "at" world.std.com   http://dawson.nu/

Layer of ash separates morning and evening milk.

Best regards,
 bitbitch                            mailto:bitbitch@magnesium.net