Anti-war train drivers refuse to move arms freight

James Rogers jamesr@best.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:17:21 -0800

On 1/14/03 5:11 PM, "Al Diablito" <aldiablito@hotmail.com> wrote:
> However, I do wonder about
> people who are obsessive about following military technology, as I find it
> kind of sick.

On a purely geek tech note, the US military has scads of wicked slick
technology that has to be seen to be believed.  A lot of the pure research
doesn't even have an obvious military application.  They have immense
organizations who do nothing but pay geeks to ride the bleeding edge of
virtually every science and engineering field, and with the budgets to
realize their creativity.  Most of the US defense research is done by
truckloads of happy geeks working on technologies and concepts that haven't
even made their way into the commercial sphere; quite a bit of very
impressive basic research has been done by the US defense community.  For
those types, the work is definitely its own reward ('cause they aren't
getting paid that much).  I think the US defense establishment learned how
to harness all that geeky energy decades ago, apparently to great effect.

A lot of the DARPA program managers and much of the military brass in R&D
are extremely clueful about technology and its ramifications, more so than
the business executives of tech meccas.  While you may disagree with the
military tech on some kind of moral ground, sparks of brilliance that any
geek can appreciate fly out of that mill pretty regularly.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com