'Bomb Texas' The psychological roots of anti-Americanism

Lucas Gonze lgonze@panix.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:35:20 -0500 (EST)

me:
> > citizens opposing foreign policy is.  Vigorously opposing foreign policy
> > is being vigorously american.

Gordon:
> No, it depends on the grounds for that vigorous opposition. If
> the vigorous opposition is wishing success for America's enemies,
> and the defeat of American interests, impoverishing and killing
> Americans, then that sort of vigorous opposition is absolutely
> anti-American.

America's enemies?  You mean Al Qaeda?  Are you implying that there is any
real portion of Americans who are pro-Al Qaeda?

It's gonna be too busy a day for me to follow this through all the way, so
I have to post and run.  I believe that anti-Americanism among Americans
is a nonsequiteur.  If americans are anti-american, then that's the
american way -- American is whatever we happen to be.

The only utility the concept of anti-Americanism has is to enable
redbaiting and to suppress legitimate debate.