Public Domain Doomed (Mouse != World)

Elias Sinderson fork@xent.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:40:57 -0800

This is the real crux of the IP situation, that corporations don't die.
(And also have enormous resources compared to you or I...) Their
interests will last as long as they're solvent, sometimes a little
longer... Point being that they will continue to have a great deal of
interest in owning IP, whether by copyright, patent, or trademark. As
has been pointed out before, the interaction of these factors has
resulted in a series of extensions to the allowable term of IP control.
I believe that the current situation is a little out of hand and it
would probably be a good thing for everyone to start thinking about
reasonable limits for these sorts of laws... The creative commons effort
has a lot of potential, provided it lasts and people really start giving
a damn.

I've got some half-baked ideas on fixing the IP situation, some of them
may be slightly incompatible as I haven't thought them through all the
way... At the very least they would be cooly recieved by any true
capitalist. At any rate, one question I'm having difficulty with is why
there aren't separate systems for corporate IP and personal IP? That is,
I understand why corporations want/like the current set up, and even why
it is that way to an extent, but does anyone really think this situation
makes sense? (Yes I know some people really do think it makes sense...
poor bastards.  :-) The real question is whether we should treat
corporations as if they 'deserve' the same rights as people. It
glaringly obvious that they (corporations) have a conspicuous lack of
moral character in general, to say nothing of some of their board
members, officers, etc...

Elias