RFID

Al Diablito aldiablito@hotmail.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:57:30 -0500

This one has all the Revelations/Christian Apocalypse crowd all excited as
they see it as evidence that "the end is nigh", because it implies the "Mark
of The Beast".  Personally, I think the in-store/out-of-store aspect is the
key issue.

RFID tags: Big Brother in small packages
By Declan McCullagh
January 13, 2003, 6:26 AM PT

Could we be constantly tracked through our clothes, shoes or even our cash
in the future?
I'm not talking about having a microchip surgically implanted beneath your
skin, which is what Applied Digital Systems of Palm Beach, Fla., would like
to do. Nor am I talking about John Poindexter's creepy Total Information
Awareness spy-veillance system, which I wrote about last week.

Instead, in the future, we could be tracked because we'll be wearing, eating
and carrying objects that are carefully designed to do so.

The generic name for this technology is RFID, which stands for radio
frequency identification. RFID tags are miniscule microchips, which already
have shrunk to half the size of a grain of sand. They listen for a radio
query and respond by transmitting their unique ID code. Most RFID tags have
no batteries: They use the power from the initial radio signal to transmit
their response.

You should become familiar with RFID technology because you'll be hearing
much more about it soon. Retailers adore the concept, and CNET News.com's
own Alorie Gilbert wrote last week about how Wal-Mart and the U.K.-based
grocery chain Tesco are starting to install "smart shelves" with networked
RFID readers. In what will become the largest test of the technology,
consumer goods giant Gillette recently said it would purchase 500 million
RFID tags from Alien Technology of Morgan Hill, Calif.

Alien Technology won't reveal how it charges for each tag, but industry
estimates hover around 25 cents. The company does predict that in quantities
of 1 billion, RFID tags will approach 10 cents each, and in lots of 10
billion, the industry's holy grail of 5 cents a tag.

It becomes unnervingly easy to imagine a scenario where everything you buy
that's more expensive than a Snickers will sport RFID tags, which typically
include a 64-bit unique identifier yielding about 18 thousand trillion
possible values. KSW-Microtec, a German company, has invented washable RFID
tags designed to be sewn into clothing. And according to EE Times, the
European central bank is considering embedding RFID tags into banknotes by
2005.

It becomes unnervingly easy to imagine a scenario where everything you buy
that's more expensive than a Snickers will sport RFID tags.
That raises the disquieting possibility of being tracked though our personal
possessions. Imagine: The Gap links your sweater's RFID tag with the credit
card you used to buy it and recognizes you by name when you return. Grocery
stores flash ads on wall-sized screens based on your spending patterns, just
like in "Minority Report." Police gain a trendy method of constant,
cradle-to-grave surveillance.

You can imagine nightmare legal scenarios that don't involve the cops.
Future divorce cases could involve one party seeking a subpoena for RFID
logs--to prove that a spouse was in a certain location at a certain time.
Future burglars could canvass alleys with RFID detectors, looking for RFID
tags on discarded packaging that indicates expensive electronic gear is
nearby. In all of these scenarios, the ability to remain anonymous is
eroded.

Don't get me wrong. RFID tags are, on the whole, a useful development and a
compelling technology. They permit retailers to slim inventory levels and
reduce theft, which one industry group estimates at $50 billion a year. With
RFID tags providing economic efficiencies for businesses, consumers likely
will end up with more choices and lower prices. Besides, wouldn't it be
handy to grab a few items from store shelves and simply walk out, with the
purchase automatically debited from your (hopefully secure) RFID'd credit
card?

The privacy threat comes when RFID tags remain active once you leave a
store. That's the scenario that should raise alarms--and currently the RFID
industry seems to be giving mixed signals about whether the tags will be
disabled or left enabled by default.

In an interview with News.com's Gilbert last week, Gillette Vice President
Dick Cantwell said that its RFID tags would be disabled at the cash register
only if the consumer chooses to "opt out" and asks for the tags to be turned
off. "The protocol for the tag is that it has built in opt-out function for
the retailer, manufacturer, consumer," Cantwell said.

Wal-Mart, on the other hand, says that's not the case. When asked if
Wal-Mart will disable the RFID tags at checkout, company spokesman Bill
Wertz told Gilbert: "My understanding is that we will."

Cantwell asserts that there's no reason to fret. "At this stage of the game,
the tag is no good outside the store," he said. "At this point in time, the
tag is useless beyond the store shelf. There is no value and no harm in the
tag outside the distribution channel. There is no way it can be read or that
(the) data would be at all meaningful to anyone." That's true as far as it
goes, but it doesn't address what might happen if RFID tags and readers
become widespread.

If the tags stay active after they leave the store, the biggest privacy
worries depend on the range of the RFID readers. There's a big difference
between tags that can be read from an inch away compared to dozens or
hundreds of feet away.

The privacy threat comes when RFID tags remain active once you leave a
store.
For its part, Alien Technology says its RFID tags can be read up to 15 feet
away. "When we talk about the range of these tags being 3 to 5 meters,
that's a range in free space," said Tom Pounds, a company vice president.
"That's optimally oriented in front of a reader in free space. In fact if
you put a tag up against your body or on a metal Rolex watch in free space,
the read range drops to zero."

But what about a more powerful RFID reader, created by criminals or police
who don't mind violating FCC regulations? Eric Blossom, a veteran radio
engineer, said it would not be difficult to build a beefier transmitter and
a more sensitive receiver that would make the range far greater. "I don't
see any problem building a sensitive receiver," Blossom said. "It's
well-known technology, particularly if it's a specialty item where you're
willing to spend five times as much."

Privacy worries also depend on the size of the tags. Matrics of Columbia,
Md., said it has claimed the record for the smallest RFID tag, a flat square
measuring 550 microns a side with an antenna that varies between half an
inch long to four inches by four inches, depending on the application.
Without an antenna, the RFID tag is about the size of a flake of pepper.

Matrics CEO Piyush Sodha said the RFID industry is still in a state of
experimentation. "All of the customers are participating in a phase of
extensive field trials," Sodha said. "Then adoption and use in true business
practices will happen...Those pilots are only going to start early this
year."

To the credit of the people in the nascent RFID industry, these trials are
allowing them to think through the privacy concerns. An MIT-affiliated
standards group called the Auto-ID Center said in an e-mailed statement to
News.com that they have "designed a kill feature to be built into every
(RFID) tag. If consumers are concerned, the tags can be easily destroyed
with an inexpensive reader. How this will be executed i.e. in the home or at
point of sale is still being defined, and will be tested in the third phase
of the field test."

If you care about privacy, now's your chance to let the industry know how
you feel. (And, no, I'm not calling for new laws or regulations.) Tell them
that RFID tags are perfectly acceptable inside stores to track pallets and
crates, but that if retailers wish to use them on consumer goods, they
should follow four voluntary guidelines.

First, consumers should be notified--a notice on a checkout receipt would
work--when RFID tags are present in what they're buying. Second, RFID tags
should be disabled by default at the checkout counter. Third, RFID tags
should be placed on the product's packaging instead of on the product when
possible. Fourth, RFID tags should be readily visible and easily removable.

Given RFID's potential for tracking your every move, is that too much to
ask?