For Marx Geeks ... RE: Marx Without the Realism

Al Diablito aldiablito@hotmail.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:24:10 -0500

Marx was
>fully aware that capitalism works, and works
>with surprising efficiency.

Yes, he did see it as an improvement on feudal societies and had more
positive to say about capitalism's evolutionary value than most
conservatives would ever admit. However, I don't think he thought that it
"worked" in the sense of improving the lot of the vast majority of humanity
on the scale that is necessary and technologically possible. He knew that
it, like Ourobouros, would eventually eat itself due to its own
contradictions. Right now, it is going through one of the cyclical crises
that it has always gone through, despite claims by the Fukuyama, MSNBC, Bob
Samuelson, Thomas Friedman cheerleader types that "history ended" or that
current economic situations should only be discussed in post-WW2 terms.

>I've been impressed with John Hall's comments
>in this thread. In most venues where there are
>conservatives, I get lambasted as a pinko when
>I try to explain Marx. They often attribute to
>him the views of leftists that have a more
>straightforward and fallacious reaction to
>capitalism.

I agree. It is quite a relief compared to arguing with
Limbaugh/O'Reilly-worshipping meatheads. Thank you, Jon.

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup