Cannon Fodder

Tom tomwhore@slack.net
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:48:02 -0500 (EST)

Unless I miss the mark here, I think of of the core things about being in
the armed forces is that you are willing to lay it all on the line to
defend your country.

In a way this does make all personel cannon fodder.

They are placing thier life and purpose in the hands of thier higher ups.
If thier higher ups are dinkum thinkums then they wont sqaunder thier
lives.

Its the deal your signing up for when you join up.

Now, having said this, I hold the mythical/legendary Patton quote for use
of the lives in the armed service..that being you win wars not by dying
for your country but by making the other poor shcmuck die for thiers..

If there is a fight going down and wepons are being used then each and
every person in that field are putting thier lives on the line. Maximize
utility with minimal casulities is what the goal is.

Thats the cold bottom line thoughts. The emotional ones are that no one
should ever have to do this, feel it nessecary to , or find themselves in
such a mess.

I think my dad had it right when he told a much younger me that wars would
best be fought by  goverment officals and not drafted armed forces. You
would see peace breaking out all over the place.

-tomwsmf