Cannon Fodder

James Rogers jamesr@best.com
16 Jan 2003 17:33:48 -0800

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 16:17, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

> The people at the thin edge of the knife *want* to be there, you know.

This reminds me of a point most people aren't aware of.  Getting into
the front-line combat units is a highly competitive process.  And trying
to get a spot in a top-tier combat unit is like trying to get into an
Ivy League university; they reject far more people than they accept into
these units and you have to demonstrate that you are definitely a cut
above the average soldier or they won't even consider you.  The more
likely you are to actually see action the more selective the military
units get.  Few people end up seeing combat by accident these days.

Most of the soldiers that actually see combat had to work hard and
compete to get assigned to a combat slot.  I know it took more than a
year of me working the system to finally get my combat slot, and it took
a lot longer for many guys.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com