Re[2]: Cannon Fodder

bitbitch@magnesium.net bitbitch@magnesium.net
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:22:39 -0500

JR> This reminds me of a point most people aren't aware of.  Getting into
JR> the front-line combat units is a highly competitive process.  And trying
JR> to get a spot in a top-tier combat unit is like trying to get into an
JR> Ivy League university; they reject far more people than they accept into
JR> these units and you have to demonstrate that you are definitely a cut
JR> above the average soldier or they won't even consider you.  The more
JR> likely you are to actually see action the more selective the military
JR> units get.  Few people end up seeing combat by accident these days.

JR> Most of the soldiers that actually see combat had to work hard and
JR> compete to get assigned to a combat slot.  I know it took more than a
JR> year of me working the system to finally get my combat slot, and it took
JR> a lot longer for many guys.

I'm assuming this was a change made recently?   I.e., it wasn't
something that occured during Vietnam, or WW2.

Just curious how 'selective' the military would be were they faced
with similarly situated examples of warfare.    For the Persian Gulf
War and this tiff in Iraq, I can definitely see your point. (tho some
of the marine grunts I've run into might prove counter to your
proposition (at least in a mental sense.)

BB

--
Best regards,
 bitbitch                            mailto:bitbitch@magnesium.net