Free Koowait!

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 22:26:36 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Tom Sweetnam wrote:

> That has to come soon. Drones are taking the place of manned aircraft and
> robots are taking the place of the grunt -the infantry foot slogger. By
> century's end, our military will be unrecognizable from what military

Your extrapolation thingy seems to be having a severe malfunction. Do you
think it will take about 100 years to transform the battlefield? Things
move a lot quicker now then they did 1900. Assuming money will keep
flowing, things will turn weird in less than two decades.

> establishments have been for five thousand years previous, and it won't be

This has been equally true, if you think WWI, WWII, and diverse later
skirmishes. Each new conflict is using technologies and methods which are
completely new.

> the West Point good ol' boys running the show then. Not a chance. A new rank
> will be well established by 2099. Not the four stars worn by the Chairman of
> the Joint Chiefs of Staff. No. Not the five stars of the field marshal
> either. Not a chance.

The new rank will be two letters: AI. If you're really really lucky
monkeys will be still giving orders by 2099, but I honestly doubt it.