Free Koowait!

Tom Sweetnam savamutt@hotmail.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 01:23:03 +0000

>Your extrapolation thingy seems to be having a severe malfunction. Do you
>think it will take about 100 years to transform the battlefield? Things
>move a lot quicker now then they did 1900. Assuming money will keep
>flowing, things will turn weird in less than two decades.

Design competition for the B-52 began in 1948. The B-52A first flew in 1954,
and the B model entered service in 1955. It's still our main bomber for
conventional wars. In the last Gulf War, most of the pilots who flew B-52's
were younger than the planes they flew, and if that weren't enough of a
paradox, consider the fact that there is at least one B-52 pilot on active
service whose grandfather flew the plane almost half a century ago! There is
no plan to remove the B-52 from service, and at $55 million a copy, it's
dirt cheap by today's standards. It may very well remain in service right up
to the mid point of this century. Imagine that, a 100 year-old bomber.

BTW About 95% of Iraqi battle deaths in the Gulf War were attributable to
the B-52.