CANDU

Tom Sweetnam savamutt@hotmail.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 06:44:15 +0000

Owen Byrne wrote:

"Lets see - Gulf War 1 killed possibly as few as 1500 Iraqi soldiers, and
the sanctions killed 227,000 children from malnutrition. That's the picture
of modern warfare."

I love these contortions in extrapolation, though I don't think  even Gumby
could twist his head around that one. Here's an exercise in the same school
of alchemy though, that isn't quite so farfetched as your own:

Pakistan :

Canada agreed in 1965 to provide a 137 MW CANDU-type power reactor to
Pakistan - KANUPP- which gave Canada assurances that the reactor would be
used only for peaceful purposes.

India:

Canada agreed to provide a 220 MW CANDU power reactor to India in 1963 (RAPS
1) and a second (RAPS 2) in 1966. As with CIRUS, India gave Canada
assurances that these reactors would be used only for peaceful uses.

Israel:

Wellllll, let's just say that without a little help from Canada (that most
priggishly "no nukes" nation on the planet), Israel wouldn't have any
nuclear weapons at all.

So I wonder Owen, how many millions of Pakistani children have been left to
starve over the past 35 years since that nation pours most of its available
treasure into nuclear weapons development instead of child welfare....thanks
to Canada.

and...

How many millions of Indian children have been left to starve over the past
35 years since that nation pours much of its avaiable treasure into nuclear
weapons development instead of child welfare....thanks to Canada.

and...

When the next apocalypse does happen, whether between India and Pakistan, or
between Israel and the Arabs -in the wake of all those mushroom clouds, how
much credit will Canada and Canadians like yourself accept for making it all
possible?

BTW There is no such thing as an "innocent civilian", especially not in a
democracy. The term itself is an anachronism carried over from the 1960's.
Of course it didn't mean anythng then either.

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup