Free Koowait!

R. A. Hettinga rah@shipwright.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:00:32 -0500

--- begin forwarded text

From: Ian Grigg <iang@systemics.com>
To: dbs@philodox.com
Subject: Re: Free Koowait!
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:50:53 -0500
Cc: jamesr@best.com
Sender: <dbs@philodox.com>

> From: James Rogers <jamesr@best.com>

> ...  That said, tanks are largely
> obsolete.  The US has extended the viable combat life quite a bit through
> the US of very advanced technology (as usual), but older and less
> sophisticated systems are pretty defenseless as such things go.  The Abrams
> is probably the last Main Battle Tank the US will ever deploy.
> Artillery is obsolete, which is among the primary reasons the US has
> decided not to upgrade their systems while phasing the old ones out.
> Classic artillery is premised on the idea of lines of battle, which as I
> mentioned in a previous post, is an obsolete concept in US military
> doctrine.

Wow.  James has been spot on on every thing else he's said,
so I'm a believer.  But these are new to me.  I think I can declare
my military knowledge to likewise be officially obsolete.  I've been
blindsided by these observations!

iang

PS:  which leaves me wondering what has been happening in
the last 12 years since I was "involved" to so change things :-)

--- end forwarded text

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@ibuc.com>