A Bunch of Stuff...

Lucas Gonze lgonze@panix.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:33:20 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:

> Why does anyone who criticizes America automatically get labeled as
> Anti-American?  Why do all such criticisms, be they right or wrong,
> endlessly result in insult and ridicule from patriots who seem to have
> nothing to learn?  Why, at this critical time in the evolution of our
> world, can no debate be held without detractors being burned at the
> stake, figuratively speaking?

Because the right has a natural tendency to witchhunts.  To be a rightist
is to be a redbaiter.

The right criticizes America constantly, by the way -- there's no need to
give that ground.  The only difference is that the right wraps itself in
the flag before complaining.  (Now, the left was appallingly stupid to let
them have the flag, but that's a different conversation.)