Free Koowait!

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 06:44:46 -0800

Tom Sweetnam wrote:

> Where "thousand pounders" were the bombs of choice (as they were in Iraq),
> craters left in the aftermath in dense jungle were still 30-50 ft deep with
> a radius of 150-200 ft. In open terrain, within 1000 meters of the blast
> epicenter of a thousand pounder, all life is extinguished simply by virtue
> of the shock wave, let alone shrapnel. Very dense jungle in Southeast Asia
> cut this killing radius down to about 300 meters, but saturation bombing
> more than made up for the deficit.

I threw a half stick of dynamite into a dense field
of tumbleweeds from a hill once when I was a kid
and it cleared out a good 5 foot blast radius.  It
was easy to pretend that we were sitting on a
mountain overlooking a whole valley.  I think
that was the point we learned that we shouldn't be
throwing them at each other, sticking them under
each other's beds in the middle of the night,
or putting them in people's mailboxes.

Greg