Right, left, right, left, right, left... give it up already.

S. Alexander Jacobson alex@i2x.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:18:27 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

The question asked was "Why does anyone who criticizes America
automatically get labeled as Anti-American?"

The answer, based on this weekend's demonstrations
organized by ANSWER, is because they fail to
dissociate with those who most definitely are.

To be specific, the open questions are:
1. Is ANSWER anti-American?
2. If yes, is it anti-american to attend
demonstrations they sponsor and fail actively to
condemn them?

I believe the answer to #1 is yes.
I believe the answer to #2 is yes.
More to the point, anyone who signed the Not In
Our Name petition must agree with #2 as well.

Philosphically, any signer of the Not In Our Name
petition who attended the demo is either a
hypocrite or anti-american.

Lucas accuses me of demanding perfect social
hygiene.  I'm not.  I am demanding consistency.
Lucas wants to tar all republicans as racists
because trent lott was tolerated, but he fails
to accept the same treatment of the protesters.

More to the point, it is a legitimate question to
ask why the major rallies all seem to be organized
by people who are obviously anti-american.

If there were a large constituency of pro-american
anti-war sentiment, you would think that they
would be able to organize a demonstration for
themselves.

No doubt there are pro-american people who oppose
the war.  But the evidence suggests that anti-war
sentiment is dominated by people who are indeed
anti-american.

If you are pro-american and anti-war, stop whining
about the accusation and organize your own protest
(or actively denounce ANSWER, like David Corn).

-Alex-

PS Anti-americanism is a legitimate label to
apply to people who are, in fact, anti-american.
Godwin notwithstanding.  Lucas, do you think
ANSWER is pro-american or indifferent to america?

S. Alexander Jacobson                   i2x Media
1-212-787-1914 voice                    1-603-288-1280 fax