Derrida, Derrida, Etc.: The philosopher as king

Dr. Robert Harley harley@argote.ch
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:39:50 +0100 (CET)

Bob Hettinga wrote;
>http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0103/goldblatt.html
>[etc]

I don't mean to pick on RAH, but recently a bunch of FoRKposts contain
extensive quotes sans commentary.  For all its cheesiness, the FAQ
contains some good advice:

>Commandment 7: Thou shalt comment on any bits and/or clue you forward.
>Don't just send us raw bits, because we are all well read. Send a
>paragraph or two about the bits. [...]

Please do, at least to make such posts much richer in content.

Anyway, the article makes tenuous connections between
postmodernism/deconstructionism ( n the persons of Derrida and De Man)
and Nazism and is linked to other articles by the same author making
similar claims (about Heidegger and De Man).  Sounds to me like the
author is a one trick pony with an agenda, so I'll invoke Godwin.

>From a quote in the article:

>Many French philosophers see in M. Derrida only cause for
>embarrassment, his antics having contributed significantly to the
>widespread impression that contemporary French philosophy is little
>more than an object of ridicule.

Don't worry, Derrida is a bit player in those stakes, compared to Sartre!