Derrida, Derrida, Etc.: The philosopher as king

Tom Sweetnam savamutt@hotmail.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:14:46 +0000

I think Derrida's premise that only through the deconstruction of language
can we ever hope to decipher the ultimate Big Idea (that elusive
metaphysical grand unified theory), is a construct best grasped via the
French cinema. In fact, I think the French cinema says all there is to say
about Derrida's and every other French philosophical movement hatched this
century past.

After all, Derrida tells us syntax is key to understanding such highfalutin
ideas, which may explain a great deal about French screenplays as well. I
made my own attempt at deconstructing a classic Derrida-influenced French
screenplay at Globalcomment a couple of years ago.  ;-)

http://globalcomment.com/entertainment/article_1.asp