The Daily Adventures of Mixerman

James Rogers jamesr@best.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:52:28 -0800

On 1/25/03 9:14 AM, "Eirikur Hallgrimsson" <eh@mad.scientist.com> wrote:

> I'd love to know some of the names behind this roman a clef, particularly
> the digital editing suite that mixerman hates.  It sort of has to be Pro
> Tools, but I don't understand the name he gives it.

I was kind of wondering this myself, and there are only a couple options
really.  ProTools, Logic Audio, RADAR, and maybe some other one that I can't
think of off the top of my head.  Most likely ProTools.

While ProTools is the de facto industry standard, its space in the audio
editing market has been slowly but surely encroached upon by Logic Audio,
which supports some non-linear editing concepts that ProTools doesn't really
do very well and scales nearly as well these days.  You can see the heritage
of the two software packages:  ProTools is a natural extension of tape-based
editing and uses that paradigm, whereas Logic Audio is more like a meta-data
automation system.  I personally prefer working on Logic Audio, because it
seems like a more correct model to my geeky brain.  It really depends on
what you are doing with it I guess.  If you are working with a bunch of live
recording takes ProTools still makes a better platform in all likelihood.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com