The Daily Adventures of Mixerman

Eirikur Hallgrimsson eh@mad.scientist.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:01:21 -0500

On Saturday 25 January 2003 01:52 pm, James Rogers wrote:
>I personally prefer working on Logic Audio, because it
> seems like a more correct model to my geeky brain.

I was leaning toward Mixerman's bane being Logic Audio, myself.
There are constant rumblings that its panning and dithering are not the
best, but I've never had a problem.

I'm Logic Audio all the way, even when just mixing a handful of folkies.
(Actually I tend to grab audio to disk first using Peak)    Logic Audio
has it's roots in Notator Logic; (whence the virtual environment model
comes from) that's why it's so geeky.   Before the Audio stuff was added,
it was the preeminent system for electronic music MIDI mad scientists, I
suppose it still is, but most of the mad scientist effort these days is
going into audio plugins, both in terms of users and developers.

Logic Audio is a really good argument for Open Source.   It's obscure and
peculiar and overall the documentation is pretty bad---it's always at
least one major release out of date!   The documentation often describes
what the features do (ala Roland manual language: "The foo control allows
you to control the amount of foo.") but not how you would use them, and
particularly not why you would.  There's lots it can do if only you can
get your head around it, and can cope with the copy protection.
What I'm trying to say is that I could really get some value out of reading
the code to try to understand what the heck is going on.    The key
mindset of the programmers doesn't make it into the documentation.  At
least the English-language documentation.

Actually dongle copy protection was one reason why I first bought it, back
in the day.   Dongles allow you to reformat your disk partitions.
Dongles allow me to work in the studio or on my laptop.  Now they have
umpteen layered products like their semi-bundled "pay for" plugins and
virtual instruments, and they are mired in a number of different copy
protection schemes, especially on their Sound Diver librarian.   I haven't
upgraded to the new USB dongle system because I have legacy hardware.

I will jump ship for some combination of Ardour and Quasimodo and Free
plugin standards as soon as they start producing reliable output.

Now that Apple has bought them, I am going to be extra, extra, cautious
about about spending money on an Emagic product.  After all, they just
canned my entire investment in VST plugins by deciding to drop VST format
to support an Apple-only one.

Eirikur