How Asians Will Save American Education

bitbitch@magnesium.net bitbitch@magnesium.net
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:27:05 -0500

Wow.   You have no idea how accurate that is.  Its frightening.

Its hard to detatch myself from the rhetoric -- I for instance, dont'
just hold blacks/hispanics and liberals accountable for the
educational decline -- Standardized testing, forced graduation to
further grade levels, and federal/state cuts to the educational system
have a considerable place in the mix.   But you're right as far as AA
is concerned.   Its crap.  California has successfully proven that its
crap.  THe system whereby race is _considered_ but not massive is a
good one.  Hey, I'll be honest.  I got more _ethnically_ (and not my
own) out of going to UCI with its diverse Asian, Hispanic, Middle
Eastern, Eastern European and Black populations than I'll ever hope to
get out of the homogenous white population of Pierce Law Center.
There is something that gets lost when people who are all raised with
the same stereotypes get together.  Its a sucky proposition I'm
observing first hand (95% of the school is white, although our foreign
Masters program provides some needed diversity).   I think my overall
education was enhanced by the diversity as well.  But affirmative
action just ain't the way to go.

-BB

--
Best regards,