[Fwd: The Costs of Making a DRAM Chip]

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:13:01 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Bill Kearney wrote:

> I seem to recall previous reports back in the mid-90's.  Mostly about the toxic
> by-products of fabs.

It's gotten worse now, though. Lots more steps, and the yield is not
getting any better.

> Ah yes plastics.  Shame they're mostly made from oil.

There's no problem with oil if you need a few ml of oil (current nanodots
are made from cadmium selenide, but there are a gazillion of less toxic
alternatives) to fab your laptop display. And if you can burn your laptop
cleanly after it's too degraded to operate a few years later.

Best of all, the rig which can do that is expensive enough to be owned
personally, eventually. Or at least you could rent time on it.

All it is is a souped-up inkjet in a mini clean room spritzing some exotic
inks, after all...