The Costs of Making a DRAM Chip

Tom Sweetnam savamutt@hotmail.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:14:28 +0000

Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

>     The UNU team
>     found that to make every one of the millions [of DRAM chips]
>manufactured each year
>     requires 32 kg of water....

Shhhhhhh! As you might appreciate, here in Crescent City we have lots of
commercial fisherman who probably want to keep this kind of thing sort of
mum. I mean, 32 kg of water to manufacture a DRAM chip is supposed to be a
big environmental deal, huh? Now I'm not trying to turn this issue into some
kind of obverse pissing contest, but hey, I have to tell you my
conscientious friends, that it takes one bejusus of a lot more water than
that to manufacture the particular commodity our local boys haul back in
their trawlers every day....a LOT more water.