How Asians Will Save American Education

Tom Sweetnam savamutt@hotmail.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:49:47 +0000

Such changes to the way people think and act toward public education came
about with forced bussing and forced integration of public schools in the
late 1960's. You can't simply detach things like standardized testing,
forced grade advancement, and school budgets  from the evolution of
affirmative action, pretending that different social forces were at play in
the nurture of all such communal institutions. "Standardized testing" for
instance, is anything but. In fact, any talk of educational competency
testing is simply sham when it doesn't apply to public school teachers
themselves. Find me a teacher's union in a predominantly black or other
large urban public school district where any hint of teacher competency
testing hasn't been fought fist, tooth, and nail.

Forced grade advancement is yet another subroutine of the main program:
affirmative action. Kids are advanced to higher grades in the public school
systems of Oakland, Detroit, and Chicago simply for showing up in the
classroom. In other words, grade advancement in urban public schools is a
perk not of learning, but rather of  the body count. The more kids who show
up in class, the more money the school gets for administration. The same
thing can be said of quota admissions programs in the nation's colleges.

As to school budgets having anything to do with educational competency,
let's Derrida that pretext and do a little objective deconstruction here.
I'm currently sitting in my motorhome on South Beach in Crescent City,
California, in the far-northern county of Del Norte. Natural rugged beauty
and great surfing to the contrary, this and Humboldt County to our immediate
south are California's two poorest counties. We have few blacks and Mexicans
here because there is no large bureaucratic presence, and because Mexican
illegals and itinerants can make better money in the strawberry fields of
California's central and southern veldt than they can working here where
more often than not wages are the legal minimum. What we do have in Del
Norte and Humboldt is the largest per capita population of Native Americans
anywhere on the West Coast, and a healthy presence of Laotians, Vietnamese,
and Cambodians too. We also have the lowest per-student public school
budgets in California.

Oakland's predominantly black public school district for instance, has a
per-student budget twice that of Del Norte County and Humboldt County, yet
in basic educational development our kids here so outdistance public school
students in Oakland, that they make an absolute mockery of budget =
educational competency excuses. Kids read books up here you see,
because....well, because kids know HOW to read books up here.