Re[2]: How Asians Will Save American Education

bitbitch@magnesium.net bitbitch@magnesium.net
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:53:40 -0500

I'm not going to address most of the stuff you mentioned.  I'm trying
to write a paper and frankly just don't got the time.

My main point being:  I'm the kind of kid who looks at things in a
global sense -- each action has multifaceted reasons behind the
action.

First, I think affirmative action in the beginning was a good thing.
I'll stick up for it.  Bussing was (although inconvenient) a good
thing overall. It got the homogeniety broken up, and it forced people
to _deal_ with issues that they otherwise put aside and assumed were
'NIMBY'.  This was a good thing.  I encouraged it.

Racial bits aside, what was going on in the school systems pre-Brown
v. Board of Education (I & II) was awful.  There was defininte,
apparent and systematic educational deficits happening that
absoloutely needed to be replaced, and quite honestly, it was an
overall good that did occur.

Here's the problem I see with how they fixed it, and more or less, why
I agree with your _overall_ statements:  THey fixed it by dumbing
down, instead of forcing the bar to remain the same, and trying harder
to get the bussed in kids up to the level.   They lowered standards,
didn't remain consistent across the varying areas, and allowed for
people with good intentions to make a muck out of the educational
system en masse.   They standardized (I personally argue that
standardization came about from a variety of different fronts, the
racial equality groups being only one aspect), they stupified and they
degraded the overall quality.  This was bad.  Bussing wasn't.  Keeping
standards at the high level that they expected would have solved both
problems, and encouraged a diverse, educated population.  I, unlike
Mr. Hall, don't think that there is an overall 'superiority' order in the
races.  That's bullshit, and a good cop-out for keeping otherwise
biased and _legally_ inequitable rules in place.  Forcing people to
compete on the same level whilst being <generally> colorblind is a good thing.  As
I mentioned, I liked the ethnic diversity of UCI.  I also liked the
fact that for the most part, the diversity was granted as a secondary
thought to the overall mental skills and intelligence of the student
body.  Race was there.  In my world, it'd be looked at much like any
other distinction.  Not a major feat, but just something to take note
of.

<snip>

TS> As to school budgets having anything to do with educational competency,
TS> let's Derrida that pretext and do a little objective deconstruction here.
TS> I'm currently sitting in my motorhome on South Beach in Crescent City,
TS> California, in the far-northern county of Del Norte. Natural rugged beauty
TS> and great surfing to the contrary, this and Humboldt County to our immediate
TS> south are California's two poorest counties. We have few blacks and Mexicans
TS> here because there is no large bureaucratic presence, and because Mexican
TS> illegals and itinerants can make better money in the strawberry fields of
TS> California's central and southern veldt than they can working here where
TS> more often than not wages are the legal minimum. What we do have in Del
TS> Norte and Humboldt is the largest per capita population of Native Americans
TS> anywhere on the West Coast, and a healthy presence of Laotians, Vietnamese,
TS> and Cambodians too. We also have the lowest per-student public school
TS> budgets in California.

And?  Unless you're comparing districts with a generally similar set
of circumstances (number of students overall comparative to teachers,
opportunities etc) you're not going to win much on this.  If you have
20 students per class in Del Norte, and 50+ in Oakland, of course
you're going to get differences.  I'd dare ask about other factors --
parental involvement, quality of teaching staff, etc.  Budgets matter.
Lots of things matter.  I guess thats my point Tom.  I don't think its
just a serial effect of being black or hispanic.  I guess I find it
hard to believe because what the hell do you say to the kids who
aren't much of anything?  Say I'm a quarter mexican, a quarter asian,
a quarter black and a quarter white.  Do I automatically cancel myself
out simply because I've got 'good and bad' qualities?  IS my
educational attitude more black/hispanic or more white/asian?  Looking
at it from a 'racial superiority is the only answer' methodology
inherently forgets the folks who don't fit nicely into your
stereotype.  This is partly what I'd argue lead to the whole dumbing
down== good argument.  They dumbed down to placate the stereotypical
black/hispanic.  They didn't bother to assume that maybe if they kept
the standards the same, the stereotype would go away.