The Costs of Making a DRAM Chip

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:02:59 -0800

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Tom Sweetnam wrote:
>
> > conscientious friends, that it takes one bejusus of a lot more water than
> > that to manufacture the particular commodity our local boys haul back in
> > their trawlers every day....a LOT more water.
>
> Put but a foundry or three by the side of the stream, and let us take care
> of the fishes. The local boys will sure look cute in bunnysuits, given
> that they no longer can fish.

That's one of the most ignorant, rampist comments
I've ever seen for three reasons:

  1) Byproduct dumping has been illegal at the federal and
     state levels for most of my life.
  2) The chip industry is one of the most tightly controlled
     and regulated industries for creation and disposal
     of products and byproducts, i.e. the carefully monitor
     each and every product and byproduct.
  3) You're comment assumes that all chipmakers want to
     be criminals rather than comply with 1) & 2).

I think the product Tom was talking about was beer.

Greg