The Costs of Making a DRAM Chip

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:41:39 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> That's one of the most ignorant, rampist comments
> I've ever seen for three reasons:
>
>   1) Byproduct dumping has been illegal at the federal and
>      state levels for most of my life.

So you're running a completely closed loop on all industrial processes in
a foundry? Ha-ha. I might be ignorant, but I understand enough industrial
chemistry. I've snorted enough solvent crap in Wacker Burghausen -- and
that's a Kraut factory. Biology does it. Molecular manufacturing will do
it, one day.  Modern chemistry only makes weak mewling noises towards
green chemistry. Modern chemistry is, frankly, a very dirty man.

>   2) The chip industry is one of the most tightly controlled
>      and regulated industries for creation and disposal
>      of products and byproducts, i.e. the carefully monitor
>      each and every product and byproduct.

Absolutely. You can assume there's a reason for that.

>   3) You're comment assumes that all chipmakers want to
>      be criminals rather than comply with 1) & 2).

Your comment assumes that legality and compliance can ignore the
constraints of current chemical processes. What happens instead is that
fabbing mostly drifts along cost gradient to other places. I recommend you
to visit these areas of the world which are taking the brunt of shifted
industrial production.