Bill Gates

Daniel Grisinger daniel@netgods.net
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:21:57 -0700

Pavan Kulkarni wrote:
> A little something for Bill Gates Lovers!. It was a forwarded message, read
> on....

Please don't.  Unless you bother to check for basic
coherency first, at least.

> Bill Gates is 40 this year.

Bill Gates was born on October 28, 1955.  He will turn 48
this year.

> If we assume that he
> will live for another 35 years, he has to spend US$678
> Million per day to finish all his money before he
> can go to heaven or hell......

I can't believe this didn't trigger lots of red flags in
your head.  You're suggesting that he needs to spend .66 billion
dollars per day for more than 30 years.  That works out to a
truly enormous number.  In fact, given 10,136 days between now
and his 75th birthday, that works out to $6,872,208,000,000
in spending.  Not bad, that's two thirds of the US's total GDP
at this point.

Beyond that, a nifty little Gates wealth calculator that I found
online (and that I have no idea if it has been updated for any
recent share grants or sales by Gates, but, really, we're talking
rounding errors) <http://philip.greenspun.com/WealthClock> claims
Gates' wealth as of last night as $56 billion and change.  Dividing
that by 10136 (the number of days to his "death" at 75) we come up
with a figure of just over $5.5 million dollars per day.

That's still a lot, but nothing even vaguely like what you
suggested.

daniel, reminded of once reading an article that claimed the number
firearm deaths in the US had doubled every year since 1955.